Social media has made sharing so easy that oftentimes
we I forget that people are watching and actually paying attention (to me and my lil ol life). As if it isn’t enough to hear about my past, present, or future adventures but seeing them live and in living color, often while I am embarking on a journey/adventure, has piqued the curiosity of many.
This is my attempt to answer the Who, What’s, How’s and “Myths” that have landed in my lap over time.
- Do you use a travel agent?
- No, I don’t use travel agents of any kind as I prefer to do my own planning, scheduling and executing. I find that there are plenty resources available that allow me to structure my travel according to my purpose or desired outcome. Besides I prefer the flexibility and control (don’t judge). The best thing is I can map out a journey, approx. price tag, flights, accommodations, etc all from the comforts of anywhere without making a commitment.
- How do you choose your journeys?
- I’m always dreaming / daydreaming and thinking of new adventures so my destinations/journeys come from either my personal wishlist of must-see/must-visit places collected over time; a really good deal caught my eye that is just too good to resist; a friend decides to celebrate abroad (will travel and revisit places for a special event or occasion); and/or something piqued my curiosity the stars aligned. I have a mental list of places I want to see before I die (if you will) and I just make travel so much of a priority that it is important to me to check things off my personal travel list (see My Wanderlust). I think it’s great to dream but even better to live out those dreams. here’s no rhyme or reason to my destination choices, they kinda just happen. Some have truly been right place – right time (a friend of a friend going away for a birthday, a destination wedding, etc.). Other times I’ve had visions of some random destination (see my Magic Monday) that starts from a dream and manifests itself into reality. For me I guess you can say it’s less a matter of how and more about “where will I go now” that drives my selection process.
- How do you know what accommodations to pick?
- This is like anything these days – Craig’s List, Ebay, etc. in that you’re often taking a chance but for me it’s a chance or risk I’m more than happy to make. Often times, as I’ve used Booking.com or TripAdvisor to research ideas on destinations and accommodations, I will peruse reviews to get a feel for what others are saying. Typically though I just check for things such as proximity to certain things, availability of public transportation, costs of transportation as necessary, and the one or 2 key things I want to accomplish at the end of my adventure.
- Aren’t you scared flying / traveling / walking around by yourself?
- No more frightened than when I’m walking/driving around Atlanta. You have to be aware and alert most anywhere you are these days and the same holds true for traveling abroad. Listen to your intuition, trust your gut, and use common sense. Walking around at night, alone, is probably less than smart anywhere. Honestly, being sort of a momma-bear/caretaker type traveling solo enables me to opportunity to create my own experience because I’m only focused on what I wanna do, where I wanna go, etc.
- Packing – I am often asked far in advance of an upcoming trip if I’ve already packed or will be packing (weeks in advance).
- I prefer to pack the night before if it’s an early flight and often the day of if my departure time is later in the day. I’m a warm weather gal so for me I typically know the types of clothing I will be taking along with me which makes it quite easy to pack. I understand my creature comforts as well (i.e. I often take my satin pillow case so I already know where it is which makes for an easy grab and go). Much like anything, the more you travel the more you understand the MUST-HAVES to take with you and/or are comfortable enough to know that whatever you happen to forget you can often find wherever you’re going.
- Why would you go to/what made you wanna visit ___________________(fill in the blank)?
- Why not? Well that’s usually what I’m thinking while trying to come up with a more friendly response. There aren’t too many places I’m not interested in exploring (with the exception of Antarctica which is NOT on my immediate list, however for a special event, challenge or sponsored trip, guess I’ll be getting a parka lol). Often though I’m simply inspired by the journeys of another traveler, or an event in a ‘strange’ land, or a myriad of other things that lead me to certain destinations. My philosophy is truly that “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list” so I will just continue to plot and plan until I have come close enough to checking “everything” off my list.
What questions do you have?
~ Travel Well ~